3.01.2011

Fight or Flight... my Knockout Mixtape




I've come to find that the perfect pump-up song is a crucial ingredient to successful game preparation. The best songs stick in my head for an entire practice or game, pushing me farther than I ever thought I could go. Biologically speaking, a great pump-up song activates one's sympathetic nervous system, your body’s active “fight or flight” response. Just listening to the right song at the right time can raise your heart rate, facilitate more efficient use of oxygen, help you focus, and get your nervous system and body as a whole ready for going all out. I can confidently say that the games and training sessions where we, as a team, have listened to a catchy song have been our most successful {not to mention, most fun!}.



For example, we listened to “Wop” by J. Dash on repeat in the weight room last Monday. This song had everyone in a fantastic mood and consequently had us moving a lot of weight! Lil’ Wayne aka Weezy aka Weezy F. Baby aka The Carter has numerous legit songs to get us amped for games. I’ve listed some of my favorites below, however it is important to remember that every pump-up song is unique to each player. Make sure you find one that gets YOUR blood pumping!

“Knockout” Lil’ Wayne ft. Nicki Minaj
“Little Secret Fireman” – Lil’ Wayne and Passion Pit – Tim Gunter Mix
“Right Above It” – Lil’ Wayne ft. Drake
“Stuntin’ Like Mufasa” – Lil’ Wayne vs. Lion King
“What We Need" – Lil’ Wayne Ft. Glasses Malone

1 comment: