10.19.2011

A Day in the Life of a HumBio Major // by Alyssa


Today was a great day on Stanford’s campus! It was a beautiful fall day without a cloud in the sky and it was a day where I was able to share all of the hard work I have put into my Human Biology Internship this past year. Human Biology is the biggest major on campus and it is one of the most flexible. You are able to design your own focus within the major and pick and choose classes you want to take. My area of concentration is Health and Human Performance. This means I take a lot of classes having to do with human performance, sports medicine, human physiology and health courses. The health courses are more broad and allow me to explore chronic disease prevention across the life course and health disparities in the United States. For my internship I was able to work with an Emergency Room doctor at Kaiser Permanente in my hometown. It was a Clinical Research Internship and it spanned from shadowing in the ED to writing a hypothetical research proposal and researching different health topics. In the ED I was able to see a lot of different cases and learn a lot about emergency medicine. I took an online course that taught me how to protect human research participants. After this online course I wrote a hypothetical study proposal that was to explore if the use of intrauterine devices for longer than five years caused an increase in breast and ovarian cancer rates. Intrauterine devices are a form of birth control that is gaining popularity in the United States. The doctor I worked with also writes a health interest column every other week for my local newspaper. I was able to do the background research for his topics and help him edit the column. The topics ranged from exploring the efficacy of fish oil pills to how to perform CPR and the productivity of multi-tasking. After participating in this internship for a little over a year I was finally able to put together a poster and present it at the Humbio Internship Fair held from 12-1pm today (October 13, 2011). It was a great experience to be able to walk around and see what fellow students have been working on and to share with others what I have been doing with my internship. The other internships ranged from sports medicine to burning man and how babies learn a language. Every Human Biology major is required to do an internship, but the topic has to relate to their area of concentration in some way. Other than those requirements, you are basically able to do whatever you wish. All in all it was a great day, and I was finally able to show off all of my hard work! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment