10.18.2011

Summer Highlights // by Alyssa


This has been the busiest summer I have ever had in my life. The summer started off like a normal summer for me. I started playing summer polo for Stanford Club with the majority of my teammates and I took Physics 21 and 22 at Stanford. I lived on campus with my teammate Monica and I discovered a love for Boba Tea. I managed to survive the physics final on the road at Nationals and our team won a bronze medal in the tournament. After summer polo was over it was time for Pallavi and me to train for the World University Games in Shenzhen, China. The World University Games (WUGs) is like a mini-olympics for college-aged athletes. There were over 140 different countries represented and about 30 different sports competed. I was fortunate enough to experience this celebration of sport alongside former teammates (Amber Oland) and rivals from different schools (including USC, UCLA, and CAL). I am not going to lie, I would have been happy if we just won one game. It was invigorating to not know your opponents and not know what to expect. We seemed to defy everyone’s expectations when we started to win and once we started to win we couldn’t stop! We made it all the way to the championship game where we played China. We ended up losing to China but we still won a silver medal! The trip had far exceeded my own expectations and I made friends that I would have never had the opportunity to meet. After China I moved back home to Marin and turned 21! I felt like I was the last of my friends to finally turn 21! And I am now writing to you all sitting on a lanai in Kauai gazing out at a beautiful beach with my family…. Life couldn’t get any better.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment