1.22.2012

Winter Break // by Alyssa


This past winter break was filled with a bunch of new experiences and lots of travel. Right after training camp I went to Tahoe with my family. My grandparents own a house at Northstar on the North Shore and we just recently renovated the house. Because we added on to the house we were able to fit the ENTIRE family into the house….. 15 people! Needless to say I got absolutely no alone time and was constantly interrupted during the skype sessions I tried to have. At one point I was talking to my boyfriend Tommy and my grandmother (Nonnie) came downstairs, stole my computer and proceeded to talk and introduce Tommy to the cousins. Luckily he was a good sport and totally went along with it, and it ended up being an amazing Christmas. Unfortunately there was no snow but it made it a lot easier to swim in the outside pool.

After Christmas, we headed back down the mountain to Marin. Kaitlyn and I spent all of the gift cards we had and a little bit of our own hard-earned money within a two-day shopping spree. Once I had spent all of my money it was time for me to head south to the land of the sun (Orange County). Tommy is from Mission Viejo and I was able to spend New Years with him and his family. I am proud to say that I learned how to play Hearts over Christmas and challenged Tommy, his brother, and Tommy’s roommate Mickey to a match…. And I won!!!!The next stop on my winter break journey was to Arizona for the Fiesta Bowl. It was my first time driving to Arizona and it was my first Bowl Game ever! On the day of the game, Stanford hosted a free concert for Stanford Students and Alumni. It was the first concert I have ever been to! I was able to be first row for Brett Michaels, LMFAO and Kesha. It was an amazing experience and I really look forward to going to more concerts in the future.
 





The game itself was exciting and the atmosphere was electric. I don’t think I have ever been in an indoor area with that many people. On the way back to socal from Arizona, Tommy and I stopped at
a small town at the edge of Arizona called Quartzsite. Amazingly we ran into Kelsey, Cassie and Ashley (literally in the middle of nowhere). What are the chances of that??? Then it was time to head back up to Stanford for training camp.

For training camp, Kelsey and I both stayed at a club family house in Los Altos. The Richards family was extremely kind and generous. Kelsey and I fully enjoyed the monster TV they had set up in the room we were staying in and we had an epic TV night where we watched the newest episode of Revenge. Other than that I just moved back into my sorority and I am excited to start winter quarter and to finally start our season!

No comments:

Post a Comment